Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

95 4runner 4x4 automatic. No gears. But 4wd works : Just

Customer Question

95 4runner 4x4 automatic. No gears. But 4wd works
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Just bought it. Next am rear antilock and check engine light on. Won't go into any gears seems it stays in neutral. But I can get it moving in 4wd.
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Under truck I can hear gears moving.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: Topped off all fluids transfer fluid doesn't smell burt or discolored
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Since you can move it in 4x4 it would seem that there is no power applied to the rear wheels and only to the front, the transfer case could be the problem. You mentioned that the check engine light and rear diff lock lights are on, have you made sure the diff lock switch is off?

Next step wpould be to see what trouble codes are stored for the check engine light, I would recommend that you take it to a close by autozone or similar parts store and have the codes read, they do this at no charge, or you can buy in inexpensive code reader and do this yourself, that way you have a code reader for future use as well.