Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have 2009 Toyota RAV4. past 2 days I started using my A/C

Customer Question

I have 2009 Toyota RAV4. For the past 2 days I started using my A/C system which is working pretty good. Yesterday, when I started the car and turn the A/C on there was a rattle sound in the beginning for about 5 sec. then gone. Same day in the afternoon, I noticed that my A/C started blowing hot air at all. I thought it needs Freon recharge.
I went to local auto zone, bought the A/C PRO Refrigerant and one the employees showed me how to do it. In the beginning of the process, checking the gauge pressure from low pressure port and attached the charging hose. He told the that I need to check my compressor because the gauge needle remains in the red area. He also told me to release more air from the low pressure port by using a pin.
First of all, I need to locate my compressor clutch and check if its cycling on. If not what shall I do?
Please advise.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Rav4.

You really getting some bad advice from the parts guys. Your compressor doesn't have a clutch like the old style ones. The newer ones come with a cooler flow valve and sensor. These sensor assemblies (located inside the compressor) are known to go bad. Will you be taking this to a repair shop?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Ok, then you will need to replace the compressor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I need to check it first tomorrow. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Thanks

My pleasure.