Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

2010 sequoia 5.7 ac not working JA: Many things can cause

Customer Question

2010 sequoia 5.7 ac not working
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: the ac clutch is not turning
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing trying to find fuses or relays
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Whenever the AC stops working in a vehicle the first step we perform is a pressure check to see if perhaps the system is low on freon. When the system is low on freon there is a pressure switch which keeps the compressor from cycling due to the fact that freon is a lubricant for the compressor. If the compressor were to run with no freon then it would damage it self very quickly.

Have you checked the freon pressures yet?

You will need a manifold gauge set to do this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have and the low side is off the charts and the high side is about 100-125.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

When you say off the charts, do you mean too high?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
gauge is buried because the compressor is not running.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

If the low side is that high without the compressor running then it is likely severely overcharged. Have you considered evacuating the system completely and starting from square one?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have not. But with the pressure that high because the compressor is not running?Usually the high will go hand in hand with the low side and it is low.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

The low side pressure with the system off should be about 35psi. With the system running it will increase only slightly. The high side pressure is about double that with the system off and then should go up to around 220psi once the compressor kicks on. If the low side is too high, the compressor will never kick on. If it kicked on with that kind of pressure the compressor would blow it self to pieces.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This system was untouched nothing added. So your saying to evacuate the system and then recharge it right?
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

That's where I would start. With a low side that high, the pressure needs to come down somehow before anything else can be checked.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I guess I will get that done tonight. I will keep you posted.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Let me know how it goes. You probably have a restriction somewhere if the pressure is that high and not bleeding off to the high side, possibly a stuck closed expansion valve.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please don't forget to rate.

Let me know if you need additional information.