Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Key fob has very short range with new battery, only unlocks

Customer Question

Key fob has very short range with new battery, only unlocks doors if fob is against glass. 2005 toyota tundra limited looking for receiver location to check antenna connections etc...
JA: Dealing with a malfunctioning key fob can be frustrating and really inconvenient -- the mechanics will have somegood ideas about what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: See last message
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: finding the receiver and no idea where it is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

I believe I can help, but noticed you have waited quite some time on a tech. Do you still need assistance?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do still need help. It is a 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab limited edition. For the past week or so the range on the factory key fob for doors was getting shorter and shorter so i assumed the battery was getting low. A few days ago it stopped working unless it was pressed right up against the driver's side door, then both lock and unlock works fine. It does not work just standing next to the vehicle. I bought a new battery and installed it an no difference. I am assuming a connection problem etx... with the receiver in the vehicle. I was not able to find the location of the receiver / antenna to check it out. I need to know where the receiver module is and or the antenna to troubleshoot. I have seen things online like the driver's side door, behind the radio and in the engine compartment. Can you please advise where to look and if there is more than one module like a relay or something to check?Kyle Sylvester
Director of Operations / NYS Paramedic
SOMAC Ambulance(###) ###-####**@******.******@******.***

Thanks, ***** ***** do the steps below to check the door lock receiver and the key fob transmitter.

On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.

Thanks Chris

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris