virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 13 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop

My blower motor doesn't work. This is the 5th one. It first

Customer Question

My blower motor doesn't work. This is the 5th one. It first died right out of warranty and it when it's replaced it lasts a few months then dies. While it does work I can change to different speeds, which seems to rule ou the resistor I guess. It has never been replaced, unless it's been a part of the motor.
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 2.5 liter on an LE. It now has 182K on it, mostly highway miles.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I can. I just don't want to keep dumping money down the wrong drain, as seemed to have been happening.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Regarding this problem no.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.First off so we can see what's burning the motors up, may I ask do you have a volt meter?Thanks
The resistor wouldn't burn the motor up. The way the system works is the motor is grounded via a wire directly to a ground. Then the power runs thru the blower motor resistor to the motor. The resistor limits the power to the motor causing it to turn slower or faster depending on the speed desired. Of course some systems flip that and provide constant power and limit the ground. We need to check the power and ground to see how the system is. Likely you have a bad ground causing the motor to overheat and die.But we need a volt meter to check the voltage in the power wire and resistance of the ground.
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.
Do you still need help with this problem?Thanks