Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

I just bought a replacement ac compressor but it doesn't

Customer Question

I just bought a replacement ac compressor but it doesn't have the amplifier on it. The plates look interchangeable. Is that a possibility?
JA: Many things can cause trouble with the A/C. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Compressor clutch on original one is engaged constantly, so I bought another one specd for the same year but no amplifier on it.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet as I am not sure if the new compressor will work and I may need to return. But if the small connector near the front on the old one can be put on the new compressor I think I can make it work
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for posting What year and model Toyota are you working on? The amplifier is usually an electronic unit mounted on the inside of the car under the dash, can you possibly also attach a picture or two of the old and new compressors?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The original compressor has 2 electric connections, one in the middle on a plate and one at the back. The new one doesn't have the connection in the middle. Can it be taken off the old and put on the new?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh it's a 2011 Toyota corolla le with a 1.8l engine.
If the new compressor has a plate on it that can be removed and put on the new compressor with this connector then I don't see why it wouldn't work, that middle connector is an rpm sensor that the new compressor needs for the a/c system to work correctly, don't know for sure if it's removeable, never ran into this situation before. I can't be 100 % sure .
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It looks to be the same bolt pattern
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That year model has a few compressors that are spec`d to it. All with the same bolt pattern just slight differences in clutch design and only 1 comes with the sensor. The issue with the old one is the clutch is constantly engaged and the ac is always on. That's why I'm replacing it.
Well, give it a try and let's see how it goes.