Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1994 Camry Coupe V6. I have a P0401. I have replaced the egr

Customer Question

1994 Camry Coupe V6. I have a P0401. I have replaced the egr valve, modulator, and the vsv and still have this code popping up.
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When press the gas and accelerate quickly I smell carbon
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've cleaned the plenum, where the egr valve connects. It continues to get clogged at that location
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Everything works great
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.
hello, thanks for postingAre you saying that you cleaned the carbon out of the intake chamber port but it still get's clogged up? Does the check engine light stay off for a while then come back on or is it on all the time?
Do you happen to have a vacuum gauge?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the C/E comes back on after the drive is done. Yes I have a vacuum gauge. Yes it still gets clogged
Thanks, ***** ***** two vacuum ports on top of the throttle body with vacuum hoses attached, as you increase rpm both should show vacuum up to around 2000 rpm, one will have vacuum at lower rpm and the other will get vacuum at higher rpm. Check this and let me know. Do you have a vacuum routing diagram if so make sure none of the hoses from the throttle body to the modulator are mixed up.