Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

The battery was dead. I jumpstart the car, but it's parked

Customer Question

The battery was dead. I jumpstart the car, but it's parked on a hill. There's a message that says that I have to park it on flat cause there's something wrong with the park. But I can't move it...
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes please. I've jumpstarted it other times before but now it won't work
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Start it and then stop it and start it again with the booster pack on every time. But each time the message that says to park it on flat is appearing and the gaz motor won't start.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It's a prius 2009
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Prius.You said that you've jump started it before, when, how long has this been going on? Have you replaced the AUX battery yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, the AUX battery has never been replaced. I've jump started it a few times way back. I've also jump started it today earlier and it worked. I think I didn't let it run long enough but this time, it won't jump start.
I see. The reason that you are seeing the warning message about the "parking flat surface" is that the AUX battery is bad. That's why you had to jump start it and when you did, it worked. Now, the battery has a shorted cell. (there are six 1.2 volt cells in a typical battery that are connected in series, these make up the 12.6 volts needed to start a var) The fix now is to replace the AUX battery. Just curious as to why you haven't replaced it yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a used car that I had buy about 3 or 4 years ago. At which time are we supposed to replace it?
Do I have to get my car towed or there's a way to move it down the hill backward?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My driveway isn't broad and my other car is in front of the prius so I can't take it unless I move the prius down the driveway.
At which time are we supposed to replace it?The first time that you had to jump start it would've been a good time to check it and replace it (if needed). The next 1-2 times you jump started it were just reminders to replace it. Do I have to get my car towed or there's a way to move it down the hill backward?The proper way to move (tow) a Prius is with the front wheels off the ground. Now that being said, there are situations like this where that may not be possible. In this case, what has to be done may require that a tow truck slowly drag the prius out of the way. Or you could just go buy an AUX battery and install it. Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you
My pleasure. If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me just as I have helped you.