Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy,
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas

2008 Highlander, fob won't work, battery inside has been

Customer Question

2008 Highlander, fob won't work, battery inside has been replaced, still won't work, tryiong to figure out how to start the car as is. Thank you.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: Engine does nothing. No key ignition inside the car, starts only with the fob, press brake, press start button. Car battery is new.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced fob battery, jumper cables (locked car down in emergency mode), saw on internet that you could hold dead fob to the start button and it would start. It did not.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 5 months ago.
This is going to seem very strange, but what I want you to do is get into the car, open and shut the door three times, then get outside of the car, and try to lock, then unlock the car. If it locks and unlocks at that point, I want you to get back into the car, and start it like normal. I know this is a very odd request, but Ive seen this a few time at the dealership. Please try and let me know the results. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did not work.