Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

1996 toyota camry no spark powering stopping at dust cap has

Customer Question

1996 toyota camry no spark powering stopping at dust cap has new distributor
JA: What is the model of your '96 Toyota?
Customer: le 2.2 4cy
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: just replaced head gasket as long as whole top in gasket and timing belt kit also
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any odd squeaking noises?
Customer: 270k
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: can i speak with a mechnic now
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. If this vehicle was in my shop, I would be considering replacement of the ignition coil assembly that is located under the distributor cap.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I replaced that with a brand new one and it's currently at my shop still no spark can u tell me any further test to do I was thinking about the plug that plugs into the distributor the resistance or volts that it should have. Thank you. Also I assume I got every thing in time but always can u tell me once again all the timing marks on cams crank

If you do not have spark, timing marks (correct or incorrect) have no bearing on the spark. All of the spark on this car comes from the distributor (the pick up coil), the ignition coil and the igniter. Igniters rarely fail, but the coils and the distributor pickups are known to be a high failure item. Even with incorrect timing marks, you woudl still have spark (jut at the wrong time. If the coil is good, you probably need to swap out the distributor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I put a brand new distributor cap and the internals I assume that's what ur talking about I have 12v going into the dust cap but nothing coming out of the dust cap.

From the Service manual: Crankshaft position and RPM signal are detected by the pick-up coil inside the distributor assembly. This means the 'insides' of the distributor, not the cap. If you do not have spark, the distributor sends the signal to the computer to fire the igniter.

If you replaced the pick up coil, I would recommend you get another coil, as this one may be bad. Also make sure your 15 amp EFI fuse is not blown in the fuse panel in the engine compartment

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Fuses good got good gas injections at injectors and great compression all across what's the location of the other components. remember I have new distributor and cap and power going into center wire on distributor cap.

If you have injector pulse, your distributor is OK. It sends pulses to the computer to activate the spark igniter unit (on the left inner fender area). It also sends a signal to the computer to tell the injectors to squirt. Perhaps you have a faulty igniter, or, it did not get plugged back in when you did the engine work.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It was running great after my work and just loss spark where exactly is the igniter located I assume next to the air box on driver side?

Next to the air box; on the LF inner strut tower.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I got power going in and out of that box could it still be bad.

yes

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I'm going to junk yard to get door handle tomorrow and I will get a few igniters

ok

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Changed the igniter along with the other two modules attached to its bracket and still no spark. These parts came off a car at the junk.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is what I got at junk.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have no power coming from this plug going into the distributor idk if there's suppose to be power.

What colour are the wires in the plug in your picture?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will have to look tomorrow it's the only actual plug style connector that goes to the distributor

If one of the wires is White with a red stripe, it should have power in it with the key on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I tested both wires I don't remember the colors but no power on either with the car key in the on run position

power to the White/Red wire comes right off of the key switch. Power for that wire is from Fuse AM2 in the fuse panel under the hood.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I'll inspect that fuse better tomorrow and check wire coloring
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Blue and green and blue and yellow colored wires going into distributor
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No power on am2 fuse at all with key on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I went to the local junk yard today and got a ecu out of a Camry down there I swapped ecu and now I have power going to am2 30amp fuse. But when I test Volts to the plug that's in question at distributor I get a reading of .705volts on both blue green and blue yellow colored wires

Do you have power at the White/Red wire at the injectors with the key on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll have to check tomorrow just left shop not to long ago. But there was no power at am2 fuse with stock ecu then with the junk ecu I have 12 volts at am2

The ECU does not power AM2. That is a fuse in the engine compartment.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Rite. With ignition on I had no power on am2. Then I went to junk and installed the other ecu and it has power with ignition on, on am2 I understand the ecu has nothing to do with am2 but I was just relaying my results I'll test the white/red voltage first thing in morning.

ok. The power to the white/red wire at the injectors is the same power to the distributor.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Got 7 volts power at the red white wire at injector
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No power to the distributor and the plugs wire colors are blue green and blue yellow

You should have full battery voltage at the injector power wires. Those wires in the picture look like they are from a re manufactured distributor, or someone has modified the engine wiring harness..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do have full battery power at injectors those wires are from the plug that plugs into the back side of the distributor

you need power in the White/red wire at the coil... the other wires on the distributor are the rpm signal out to the computer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There is only that plug and the single main line from the igniter it's a older style wasn't many like this style at him j noticed

The coil needs to have power in it.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It does

You said earlier the distributor has no power

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Has power going in from the igniter and not out of it

You should have power in the White/Red wire on the igniter. The ECU controls the operation of the igniter, based on pulses from the distributor. A ground is applied to the coil, from the ignitor Black/red wire. The igniter does not sens power 'out'. The igniter sends a ground signal to collapse the secondary field of the coil, thusly allowing spark to develop.