Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.

My 1986 toyota camry le vibrates/shakes when I'm in gear and

Customer Question

My 1986 toyota camry le vibrates/shakes when I'm in gear and stopped and really rough in reverse I know it's not the transmission and the engine itself isn't bad but I could be the mounts I'm just not sure can you suggest anything.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes because I went to school for collision repair I do most repairs myself I'm just not sure what it could be.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaces the exhaust however I'm sure it needs hagar but that wouldn't cause the vibration in reverse ad far as I know. I have had it aligned honestly I thought it was the exhaust but it's not
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: It can be felt in the whole car it's louder on the passenger side and it is louder inside than it is outside
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help, It's probably the mounts, and likely the upper engine mount on the passenger side. Are you sure the engine isn't misfiring, it's running on all cylinders correct?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'll double check the mounts but I am more interested in the cylinder ders irs a 4cyl. So where do I look under the hood to check out the cyls. To make sure it's not misfiring?
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
If it was misfiring, the check engine light would likely be on when driving, and it would have very little power, does it run out ok and seem to have plenty of power?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's has decent power sometimes it struggles up a hill but it makes it up 11% grade hills and such which is good for a 4cyl. The check engine light isn't on never has been. Anything else you suggest this car is my baby and I want it to run for another 30 years
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
I totally understand, Does it do it at idle? do you notice it in the steering wheel when in reverse with your foot on the brake and not moving?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
could I replace all the mounts and see if it helps but anything else I could check if that doesn't work
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
What you want to do first, is put a floor jack under the oil pan while this vibration is going on, and just raise the engine up about 1/2 an inch, see if that takes the vibration away, if it does, definitely replace the mounts.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
in idle but it's not as bad it's really bad and loud in reverse and when I'm stopped at a light in drive. And yes I see it in the steering wheel and the hood they both bounce/vibrate in those 2 positions
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's loner in the car than it is outside of the car
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Louder I meant
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
I follow you, That certainly sounds like textbook bad engine mounts to me, Could possibly be a bad exhaust hangers or rubbers on the exhaust hangers that have failed, but if you put a floor jack under the engine and it changes it, I would definitely replace the engine mounts. I believe you will notice a big difference with a few new mounts.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you. I really hope it works. It means alot to me.
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
Absolutely you got it. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so one more thing I am going to replace the mounts but is there a specific amount I need to jack up my engine or what.... I don't want to mess it up and be driving down the road and my engine just drop and stuff
Expert:  Edward replied 5 months ago.
No, you just want to take some of the pressure off the engine to test it to see if the vibration goes away, now when replacing the mounts, it may be necessary to raise the engine up some, just be sure you don't break any hoses or ground wires or other wiring harnesses, look closely and don't raise it up more than a couple inches, that is usually all you need to raise it to replace any mounts.