Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

I replaced our 2007 Sequoia's hatchback handle (3rd

Customer Question

I replaced our 2007 Sequoia's hatchback handle (3rd replacement over the years) but it acts like the door is locked. Any ideas?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Hatchback won't open after handle replacement. Seems as though hatchback is locked and unresponsive to door unlock switch command
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Disconnecting/reconnecting battery is all
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. More often than not, when we see this problem in the shop, the handle is nto the cause; there is a short cable that connects the handle to the release mechanism. The cables are known to stretch, and, when this happens, the handle does nto cause the cable to extend far enough to release the latch mechanism. When this happens, the handle gives the feeling of the door being locked. I would recommend replacement of the handle-to-release mechanism cable before doing anything else.
If you any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. I will order a cable and see what happens. In the interim, shouldn't I be able to pull the cable and get the hatch open?
you should be able to pull the part of the cable that is attached to the handle.
ok