Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy,
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas
93876653

No fuel to engine. Fuel pump or control module? JA: How many

Customer Question

No fuel to engine. Fuel pump or control module?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 87000 5.7l
JA: What is the model of your '85000 Toyota?
Customer: tundra
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: i dont do tune ups. I do my own work
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 6 months ago.
Is your 5.7L tundra flex fuel, or can it take E85 and regular gas? Know this will help me figure out what wiring diagram to look at for your truck. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Standard 5.7L gas. The control module only has 5.5 volts to the pump. 12volts in. Why is this?
Just to confirm, pin 4 at the fuel pump ecu has 12v right?at the fuel pump ECU, the big red wire has 12v or 5.5v? The fuel pump ecu operates the fuel pump at three speeds, at idle, low speeds and non E85 gasoline in the car it operates at "low speed" When higher RPM, under heavy load, or when E85 is used, it operates at "high speed" which would send more voltage to the fuel pump. and there is a middle setting. Something you can try to do, as you have someone crank the engine over, you can hit the bottom of the gas tank to try to get the pump to come on, but Sounds like with no fuel pressure and the engine, and the voltage readings you have ,you have a dead pump which being at the Toyota dealership was not a super common issue, but it has been something I ve seen before. I hope this helps, and please feel free to ask any other questions you have! Please do not forget to rate me as that is the only way this website and track and grade my performance. After rating me, I will keep this thread open so if you have any other questions, you can come back and ask and ill be more than happy to help anyway I can. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
having 5.5 volts from the ECU could be fine at idle or with the engine not running in this case. So its safe to say its the fuel pump and not the ECU. Could another source shut down the fuel pump like a oil pressure sensor or inertia switch?
5.5v is normal in this case.the only other thing is an imbolizer issue. When you crank the car does the red flashing security key go off? If so that checks out and you have a dead pump.Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the security system with both keys and working as should. I think we are getting down to the pump. Thanks Kurt. Where are you from?
Awesome man! make sure you get a quaility pump to put in there, that particular truck is picky. I am in Houston Texas, what about you? Also, please do not forget to rate my service. This thread will remain open as well after you do. Thanks!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Fuel pump works. Back to ground zero.
the fuel pump did not fix the truck?