Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

My prius is a 95 model. it will turn on but won't start.

Customer Question

hello. my prius is a 95 model. it will turn on but won't start. i also can't get it into "drive" or "reverse". the "red triangle of death" turned on and the "maintenance" light as well.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: no, it doesn't
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hopefully. our toyota said they would have to hook it up to the diagnostic computer which will cost an easy $300+, and that's not counting what they find wrong with it :(
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: well, we've had to jump start the small battery at the back 2x within the last 2 months, and we also didn't start the car for almost 1 month prior to that because we were out of the country
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.
Hello and thanks for posting your questionI think I may be able to save you that $300 the dealer wants to charge you, what is happening is that typically the 12 volt auxiliary battery in the trunk is discharged, what you can do yourself at this time is to try and jump start it with another car, or if you have a voltmeter check the battery, if it starts by jump starting replace the 12 volt battery, once these batteries go much below 12 volts they are useless, especially if they are over 4 years old.