Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Toyota Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Toyota Diagnostics
18617752

I have a p302 code on my 2005 forerunner v8. What is 302. Where

Customer Question

I have a p302 code on my 2005 forerunner v8. What is 302. Where is cyl 2
JA: Do you happen to have a code reader or scan tool? What size is your engine?
Customer: v8, code is from an actron scanner p302.
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: last year. coils may have 75000 or more on them
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if possible
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.
P0302 is a Cylinder Misfire on cylinder #2. Cylinder #2 is the cylinder closest to the front of the vehicle, on the passenger's side. There are a few things that can cause a single-cylinder misfire. This can be a worn spark plug, a faulty ignition coil, a faulty or clogged injector, an intake air leak around the cylinder, low cylinder compression, etc. Given the mileage of the vehicle, I'd lean more towards a plug, coil or injector problem. So first, pull the spark plug and look for any signs of wear on the body and diode. If there are any doubts, replace all the spark plugs at the same time. If the spark plug looks good, you can swap the coil with another coil, and see if the p-code follows (P0302 is now P0304) if so- the coil is faulty (this is the more common problem with a single-cylinder misfire). If the coil checks ok, the injector will need to be tested next. With the engine running, unplug the electrical connector. The engine should respond. If not, the injector will need to be replaced. If all of these test ok, deeper diagnostics will need to be done. Make sure to inspect the electrical connectors and wire harnesses to the coil and injector before replacement. If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.