Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Im trying to figure out if my speed sensor needs relacingin

Customer Question

im trying to figure out if my speed sensor needs relacingin if my speedomoter and transmission but have started to work intemittently
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: its a 1993 speedomoter works slowly not at correct speed and trans,jumps at times
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: perhaps
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: no thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.
Hi, you can have a problem with speedometer itself in the dash or the speed sensor located on side of transmission that pick up speed signal might have broken plastic gears that is causing a jump when it gets to the broken part of the gear . can you acess the speed sensor and remove and physically inspect it?
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 5 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist you.what is the model of your toyota and the engine size ?thanks