Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Toyota hilux: my 1995 toyota hilux has black all over the bottom

Customer Question

my 1995 toyota hilux has black all over the bottom of oil area as well a the entire lower surrounding the oil nut...whats the extent of the problem and how to fix
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do i fix it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
could it be a casket problem?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. This does sound like either the engine drain plug gasket is leaking or is split needing replaced or this is an issue with the engine oil pan gasket leaking needing replaced.I have also seen some issues with the rear crank shaft seal leaking needing replaced as well for issues like this here.What has to be done is the engine oil needs cleaned off and the engine oil topped off to the proper level.Then the vehicle driven a short distance and then re checked to see where the oil is leaking from exactly.Oil at the bottom of the engine can even indicate a higher up leak just running down the engine like valve cover gaskets leaking needing replaced or even a cylinder head gasket leak.Most common though is usually an engine oil pan gasket leak needing replaced. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
this is like the entire shaft is black from i think its way up either valve or cylinder casket.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
O.k.,the way to find out for sure is to clean off all the oil you can see then top off the engine oil and run the engine for a short time then re inspect the engine to locate the leak.In some cases with hard to see leaks you can clean it off,top off the engine oil then add oil tracer dye from a local parts store.Then run the engine and use a black light or leak tracer light to locate the leak then repair it from there.Most common from up top is a valve cover gasket leak or cylinder head gasket leak needing replaced. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete