Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

My ac works... While the car is on I can't turn it down or

Customer Question

My ac works... While the car is on I can't turn it down or off.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I try to turn down the ac, but it can't.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet.. I'm hoping it's just a burnt relay
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: 2009 corolla
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.From your description sounds like the blower motor switch has failed and is staying on. The blower motor switch has a common failure rate. If you have a test light and or a voltmeter and want to verify the circuit before replacing the switch let me know.I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could it be the blower motor resistor? I took it out and it looked like there was some corrosion.
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.
It's possible, corrosion is always a good indication of a problem. At the blower motor resistor back-probe and ground terminal 1, Blue wire at the blower motor resistor with the key on and the fan switch on and set to any speed but high. The fan should run on high. If it does run on high with terminal 1 grounded at the blower resistor, ground terminal 3, Blue wire for speed three, terminal 2, Red wire for speed two and terminal 4, White/Black wire for speed one. If it doesn't run on speeds 3. 2 or 1, the resistor is at fault. Let me know how this works out for you.Thanks