Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

The check engine light came on (2001 camry) and Toyota stated

Customer Question

The check engine light came on (2001 camry) and Toyota stated I needed to replace the cannister (code 440). I did and a few days later the check engine light came on again with code 446. I took it back to Toyota and they are saying the cannister needs to be replaced, but I just replaced it with a new one 4 days ago. They do not know what to tell me or what to do next. Any suggestions?
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I have a mechanic that works for honda that does my work.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the cannister and the switching valve attached to the cannister
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.
Hello, thansk for posting your concernI don't know to what extend the dealer tested the evap system to determine that it was the canister which by the way is not unusual, evap leaks are pretty involved to diagnose correctly. It went from a small leak (440) to a bigger leak P0446, which is almost always a fuel tank vapor leak, have you tried a new OEM gas cap and inspected the fuel filler neck for damage?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have replaced the gas cap with OEM. What's the fuel filler neck?
The filler neck to which the gas cap attaches
I would recommend that the system be tested with a smoke machine to locate where the leak is, most repair shops that do smog repairs can do this.