Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

88 22r loss of power three days n row 3od day bad, pulled over

Customer Question

88 22r loss of power three days n row 3od day bad, pulled over removed air cleaner moved air intake flaps on carb to make sure weren't seized drove 1/2 mile all of sudden it surged got full power sound lil different ran good for a week started back firing when letting off gas now much louder exhaust after two serious back fires running good w/ small back fires
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yup
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just some research. .the back firing started today
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Carb and motor have about 40,000 miles only
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.In order to start your testing the first thing you are going to need to do is to scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting and post back with the results. It would also be a good idea to check the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring. Normal fuel pressure should be right at 27 to 32 PSI. Check these thing for me and post back and we can work from there.