Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Rav4: 97 rav 4, no check engine light. Checked all fuses. Is

Customer Question

97 rav 4, no check engine light. Checked all fuses. Is ecm probably bad?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Rav4.What problem are we having with this Rav4 today?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Won't start. Bought it this way. Lady said a mechanic said ir was a bad distributor so I put one in it. Really with no troubled hooting. After reading online I saw that the check engine light doesn't come on. I've checked all fuses and links.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did pull the negative battery cable off for a few minutes for the heck of it. SeemsI've no fire
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just got to the ecu. Haven't messed with it
Yeah, if the check engine lights doesn't come on and the fuse is good. The next step, is to replace the ECU.If you have more questions, please ask as I strive to give Excellent service. Also please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll try that. Seems to make sense. Thanks
My pleasure and please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars), as it helps me.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I ordered an ecu. Should be on Friday. Ill let you know if it works. Tjanks
Ok
Ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still no check engine light
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you have a wiring diagram. I could verify power. Power to fuse is good and fuse measures good
The factory wiring diagram can be found here... www.techinfo.toyota.comI can't link to them via here, sorry.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 11 months ago.
Hello, I am another expert here, the expert you were working with has opted out so I will see if I can help with this. The check engine light not turning on is due to either the computer not getting voltage to it when the key is on or the bulb may be burned out, let's assume that the bulb is good for now, when the key is on there should be one wire that has 12 volts going into the distributor, this is the wire that supplies power to the coil in the distributor. I believe it is the black/red one, can you verify this for me?
Also go to the data link connector under the hood (check connector) open the cover and check voltage to the B+ terminal, are there 12 volts there?