Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

1993 Previa--occasionally the ignition fails to engage. Everything

Customer Question

1993 Previa--occasionally the ignition fails to engage. Everything comes on. Just no starter, not even a click. After i let it sit for a few minutes, it starts up fine. Everything runs great until the next (unpredictable) time it fails.
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes, gonna fix it
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: all described above
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. If the starter itself has not been tested this should be done.I have seen the starter motor and solenoid fail in the past before needing replaced to correct this issue here.If this has been tested and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I replaced the starter myself, so that is not the issue.To recap: unpredictably, the ignition fails to respond. When I turn the key, everything in the dash comes one, the AC blows, etc., but there is no response from the ignition system, not even a click or whir. When this happens, I let the vehicle sit for 20-30 minutes (or, in one instance, 5 minutes), and when I return, the vehicle starts immediately and runs like a champ.A friend speculated there is a weakness in either the ignition cylinder or ignition switch, something that fails, then cools, then returns to normal operation.Please let me know your thoughts. --BR
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I requested a call. I'd like to get some info today (5/17/2016) so I can start fixing the problem.--BR
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Unfortunately I am unable to place a call on this here myself. The ignition switch itself (the electronic ignition switch) is most common next for this issue.I wasnt aware the starter had been replaced but my second opinion on what is occuring is weak contacts in the electronic ignition switch with the switch itself needing replaced.I have had to replace several ignition switches in the past before for this type of fault here.I would have this tested further to be sure this is the cause here and replaced as needed. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, thanks, ***** *****'ll give this a shot.--BR
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Your welcome