Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

My daughter wants to buy a 2006 RAV4, but the air flow selector

Customer Question

My daughter wants to buy a 2006 RAV4, but the air flow selector knob will not turn to defrost. All the air just comes out of the face vents. No air will come out of the defrost or floor vents. I am trying to see how much this will cost before she spends her money on this vehicle. Can you help me out?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. I really did not want to full with it, but I can if it will be an easy fix.
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: it looked like there was burnt oil on the tip of the dipstick. Is this a concern?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
The HVAC system on the Rav 4 is controlled by a mode servo motor. If you switch the mode (position where the air comes out of the vents) and it doesn't do anything then the mode servo motor is likely burned out. It can be replaced, but it's a little tricky. Most of the dash has to come apart to get to it. Here is a diagram. The part in question can be seen on step 3.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
If this Rav 4 has manual controls then the problem part is likely the control cable (step 5 in the diagram). This isn't very easy to replace either, but it can be inspected to see if the cable has broken or the little gear that moves the mode door has jammed up.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Please don't forget to rate. That's how just answer pays us for our time.Thanks!
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.
Did you still need help with this question?If not, please don't forget to rate. That's how JustAnswer compensates us for our time. Thanks!