Amedee, Toyota Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Tundra: My battery on my 2007 Tundra shows 12.6 volts. I tried

Customer Question

My battery on my 2007 Tundra shows 12.6 volts. I tried starting it, but nothing happens, nothing at all. I tried both my wife and my key (thinking it might be a chip or something). The dash instruments all light up when I turn on my key. When I turn rotate the key to start the key, nothing.
Category: Toyota
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It started up about an hour earlier with no issues. I drove it less than 1/2 mile and parked it. When I tried to start it, nothing. I replaced the battery in 2012.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Do the headlights and dome lights work? Does it click once or multiple times when trying to start it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yes. Lights work. It does not click at all. When I turn the key, nothing happens.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
If all of the lights stay illuminated, then chances are you just have a bad starter motor. Have you checked for power down at the starter?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No. I do not know how to do that.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is a bad starter motor common on Tundra? 2007?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
You bet! You would have to check for power down at the starter with a voltmeter or a test light. This will rule out any electrical issues prior to the starter motor. If it has battery voltage with the key in the crank position and it is not working, the starter motor is bad and will need to be replaced.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
I am glad I can help! It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today. Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a voltmeter. How do I test the starter?
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Black lead goes on battery ground and red lead goes on signal wire at starter.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 months ago.
Your welcome