Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, 32 years, diagnostic/repair / electrical specialist
13677702

Camry: 2010 V6 Camry 74000 miles Just purchase car Had

Customer Question

2010 V6 Camry
74000 miles
Just purchase car
Had a transmission fluid change at a transmission shop they told me, it was two quarts low and fluid was dark, they also said they only replaced 70% of the fluid. When asked if they use synthetic oil they said yes.
They charged me $89
I can't help think this was the first transmission fluid change
Should I be worried.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 months ago.
Hello, is car shifting ok? before fluid change and after?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Power was off here in Houston.Car shifting fine, have concerns on what he did for $89 most charge $ 250.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Battery about to go dead may check back in a little while.
me ?Honestly? I have NO way to know other than what you sent, What I do know? something does not add up. This trans takes a very special trans fluid marked WS fluid, it is not cheap persay. also, 70% fluid exchange tells me they did not put on a full fluid exchange machine which does about 100% exchange. we can not come close in our shop to 489 with this type of vehicle and fluid, I dont do pricing but, much more than $89. Also, the fluid in the trans? its does NOT have a schedule change period, It is designed for life of the vehicle, It just is not adding up from what you told me so? did they use correct fluid? you have to ask what they used, Between you and I? it MUST be ATF WF Toyota fluid, If they did a substitute? you need to find out what they used. I am no position to talk bad of another shop, no way but I am a trans expert and have been a tech for 38 years. Concerned? well, unsure, Need to know the fluid used, Burned? discolored? rare for this trans, rare to happens so in summary? YOU need to back check some things and at this stage if they will not answer you? I highly recommend a FULL tran fluid exchange at different shop using the required Toy ATF WS fluid. Best I can send to you,. I am not there, But will say, I owned 43 houses in Crystal Beach, Tx, until? well we know what happened in 2008. ALL are gone
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for your advice .
you are welcome, Please leave feedback for my service provided today., You can still come back to this post after rating/feedback and thanks