Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 2001 corolla. After hosing down the engine one time,

Customer Question

I have a 2001 corolla. After hosing down the engine one time, It started not working with full force. I found out that water had gotten into one of the spark plug wholes. I pushed it out with air compressor. The car sat for a long time and if there was any water remaning it would have dried. Not to mention I turned the car on alot. Still had similar issue. The car actually turned off and the engine shook alot and you could even feel it inside. I changed the spark plugs, reset the battery and after a day, the engine light came back and the movement and turning off did not really improve. I took it to a friend mechanic and he changed the throttle body. This fixed the turning off problem. It doesn't turn off anymore. But still after resetting the battery for testing, after just alittle bit, the check engine was back and same issue. You could always feel like it was going to happen. Sometimes you could manipulate it by changing it from gears but once the engine started to move like crazy, same issue and you couldn't really drive it as it had little power. Specially uphill. So we changed all 4 sprak plug connectors (black ones) same thing. I spent way too much money on this. Any suggestions? I just want to sell it but I can't like this.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I never said the car won't start
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: are you a person?
JA: No. I'm the Toyota Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: so you are a robot
JA: I'm an assistant to the Toyota Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: so you are a person
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.

Hello, thanks for posting

Does the check engine light turn on or flash while driving or while the engine is running at idle?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I believe it does not come at idle. But I am not 100 percent. From the last 2 experiences, After I moved the car it came on. And it seems alittle bit more profound in reverse.

Thanks, it's obvious that the engine has misfire that was created after the water got into the spark plug holes, it's possible that a coil may have shorted out and is not firing the spark plug any more, there are four, one for ecah plug, have you checked for any diagnostic code information/code numbers in the computer? You mentioned changed all four spark plug connectors, did you replace these coil/igniter assemblies?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I spoke wiht my friend and he says from what he remembers it gives misfire on 2 and 4

Ok, thanks, ***** ***** need to look for is the fuel injector connectors, make sure they are on tight and there is no wire damage or connector damage, if that looks ok then I would suggest that you replace the #2 and the #4 igniter/ coil assemblies for those cylinders.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
All 4 igniter/coil assembly (which I am guessin is the black piece that connects to the wire and then to the spark plug were changed. Mind you with used ones. Is there a test I can do to know if that is the problem or not?

Try switching the coils to the other two cylinders and see if the misfire goes there.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will try that and get back to you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure how this website goes. If I close this window, my question is over or will you guys help me fully resolve this issue?

You can still reply here after you have done the coil test by switching them, do not close the question yet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have to buy a code reader. So this is what I will do. I have purchased it but it will take 2 days to come. I will test and see what misfires. Then I will move coils around to see if it is from that. At that point I will get back to you

Ok, get the actual codes first then let me know before doing anything.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am also having some sound issues from around the belt. Can we talk about that as well? I can make a video and submit it.

Ok go ahead and send the video.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Ted,
I baught and obd 2 relatively cheap reader. This is what it says, Under something called DTC: Fail 01, Pend 00, P0300

Ok, that's multiple misfire meaning all cylinders are misfiring. Clear the code, drive the car a few miles, turn it off and restart and see how long it takes for the light to turn on, then check for codes right away,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I reset it, went for a long drive. Left it in idle for some time. The light did not come on. The light ends up coming on when the car seems to lose power to work properly. I did notice that when you are waiting at a light forexample, when you first start going, it is weak to get going but it does get going. The weakness is a similar type of reaction to when it used to turn off so it is related definitely to the same issue. But like I said the engine light did not come on. I notice a similar type of weakness when starting to reverse but that could be the same issue as I mentioned. I had changed two of the coils before. Before talking to you, I changed the other two as well. So basically it has 4 used coils in there that weren't a part of the original ones. After doing so, when I did not have the obd 2 scanner tool, I unpluged the negative and plugged it back in. And the check engine came back when I was reversing out of the garage as it was acting in a similar manner. I am not sure if the resetting with the battery disconnect might not have been sufficient and that is why it came or if there was another misfire then. At this point, I don't know what to do. There is no check engine light and I drove it for quite a while. I am going to make that video right away. Are the coils and spark plugs related to gears in anyway? It seems the trouble comes from the lower gears as supposed to higher gears. mainly 1 I think. Going from left to right, I might have torn it as I was putting in one of the coils. I am almost sure it wasn't originally torn so I looked up on the internet and I used some copper strands to help it get in and it is in now and tight and closed. And as other cylinders were misfiring as well, that could not be the main reason for these issues. The reason I am mentioning that is if the cylinders are directly related to gears, it is possible that the weakness to get moving can be caused by that which could have caused a loose connection to one of the spark plugs. As I said looking at the engine from the front (where you open the hood), it would be the first one on the right (fourth one from left to right).

That would be cylinder #4, what exactly did you refer to when you said you "may have torn it"? Can you send a picture of it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The screw that connects the coil to the engine. I will make a video and send you right away

Ok,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a 5mb maximum here so I couldn't upload from here but please see this website,
https://youtu.be/o6xeimUU7Aw

Sounds very much like a water pump noise.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what should I do?

To fix that noise, replace the water pump.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am on a trial version so I can close this and start a new conversation if that is necessary. I need some help about the procedure. Is there anything else involved or do I just change that part?

If you're not familiar with working on this engine and unless you have tools to do this you may want to consider having a mechanic do this for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok ted so here is what is going on. I have ordered a water pump and I will get someone to change it. It is easy to change as I watched some youtube video step by step about it but my only concern is struggling to get the bolts out and causing them to tear as they are alittle rusty looking. Back to the original issue though, I haven't touched the car since we spoke and I turned it on to move it and same problem happened again and I got the following error when I scanned the car. It says Fail 01, Pend 01, P 0300 1/02, P0300 P 2/02

Thanks for updating me, those are misfire codes, I'm going to have to get back you tomorrow for this problem

Multiple cylinder misfire again, have you checked for any vacuum hoses that may have come off, this would create a vacuum leak which affects all cylinders.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Which is the hose you are referring to?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just wanted to mention another thing. I drove this car for alittle while last time and no engine light came on. Just yesterday, I was just moving the car and the car started rattling like it wanted to cough lol. It kept moving relatively hard (which is caused by the misfire). Point being it happens when that movement happens. I don't know if that makes any difference. You can feel the engine move up and down from inside the car.

There is one hose coming from the intake manifold to the brake booster, make sure it's not cracked. it sounds like there is something electrical wrong. Check the wiring at each fuel injector connector.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Should I check the connectors with a multimeter?

Yes, you can, check to make sure that one wire on each injector connector has 12 volts to it with the key on. The other wire is a signal wire from the computer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just to make sure I got this right. Please take a look at this picture. You are telling me to make sure that what is in yellow is not cracked and you are telling me to test with a multimeter the voltage of the 4 connectors that are circled in red? And I have to do so when the car is turned on? And it has to be 12 volts?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
By the red circle I am meaning the wires that go into the spark plug holder (black rubber thing).

Those wires are connected to the coils, yes there should be 12 volts to one wire on each coil, I'm asking you to check voltage to the fuel injectors, each one has a two wire connector on it and with the key on one wire on each connector should have 12 volts.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ted I checked for resistance on all 4. They were all 14. If I have to check for voltage, is there any precautions? When you say the car on, does that mean it has to be turned on like the motor running or you mean put it on accessory. I read somewhere that the fuel injector fuse has to be pulled before this process. Also that the fuel injector relay could be the problem. Is that the same as the IGN? When all this is over I will give you a good tip as you have been patient with me. There is still alot to figure out.

yes, the key should be in the ON position not ACC engine not running. I don't think the EFI relay is the problem they usually either work or don't in which case it won't run at all. I'm only interested in the voltage at the fuel injector connectors at this time.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please read this entire message so I can know I am doing this right. I put the car on ON position (engine not turned on but the key in on position). I set my multimeter for checking DC Voltage. My options are 200m, 2000m, 20, 200,1000. I put it on 20. I took my multimeter and I connected the COM port to a piece of metal of the car. I disconnected the wire from one of the Fuel Injector connectors. I connected the red lead from the multimeter to one of the two pins it has. The reading I got was 0. I connected the red lead to the other pin, and I still got 0. I am guessing I am doing something wrong.

There should not be zero on both wires, one has to have 12 volts, check the ground connection, connect the red lead to the positive battery terminal then you should have 12 volts from the battery, this is a quick and easy way to see if the meter is connected correctly. The 20 volt setting on the meter is correct.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the ground it fine as I connected to the ground and the other end to the red battery and I got 12V. I used aligator clips to connect to the different pins on each of the 4 connectors. Both pins on each seperate connector showed the same voltage. The first one showed 0 on both. Second one .03 on both, third one .08 on both and last one .04 on both. I am not sure what's going on. the car was on the on position.

That doesn't sound right, I'll have to look at a wiring diagram and get back to you tomorrow, getting late here/

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok.

Hello, with the key in the on position, there should be 12 volts to each black/white wire on each COIL connector.There should be 12 volts to each black/white wire on each FUEL INJECTOR CONNECTOR.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maybe I was measuring the wrong thing. Are you talking about the head of the wires or what the wires are connected into?

The connectors where the wires come in from the harness.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
They all show 12 volts
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As far as the hose, where you talking about the one that I had circled yellow yesterday?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
btw the car is like worse than before since it stopped working two nights ago. It almost feels like it wants to stall. Before it was stalling but a mechanic worked on it and I believe changed the throttle body and now it doesn't turn off anymore but it wants to almost.

I'm sorry I can't help with this any longer I have to opt out it's taken way too long for me to find a solution, I'll will see if another expert here will get involved and maybe what we did so far will help to find the problem

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
please do ASAP. I appreciate all your help but the problem is not even close to being resolved.