Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Toyota Expert Certified through 2007
21364095

I have a 06 tundra and my passenger window just stopped working.

Customer Question

I have a 06 tundra and my passenger window just stopped working. I got a new motor and still doesn't work. There is no power to the plug.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Driver side work still, are they on the same fuse?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: New motor and checked the fuse.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: No I don't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Doug replied 6 months ago.
Hi, With the fuse ruled out (assuming the driver window works) and the motor ruled out (new, as well as no power at the motor), that would really only leave an issue with one of the window switches. This model is not terribly common to have wiring issues with regard to the windows or anything like that.Before doing anything else... check the window lock button is not engaged, and if it isn't then work the window lock button vigorously a few times to make sure it is not sticking internally. If the window lock button is engaged, the operation is cut to the passenger window.Next you will want to check for power at the master switch. On the master switch the right hand window operating wires should be pins 8 (red/black) and 10 (red/white). With a DC meter hooked up to those two pins you should have 12V and -12V when the switch is operated. If you do not, the master switch is faulty (either due to the switch lever itself, or the window lock switch being failed in the lock position).If you do have 12V/-12V operation, then you would be looking at either a wiring issue or sub switch failure.From there access the passenger door sub switch and unplug it. Hook up your meter to pins 2 (red/white) and 5 (red/black) and again operate the window switch on the drivers master switch for the passenger window. You should see 12v/-12V. If you do not, there is a wiring problem (suspect in the pass through for either door where the wires flex usually). If you do have good voltage that pretty well rules out everything but the sub switch. The two switches are daisy chained, so if either fails neither works.For what it is worth.... the window lock switch seems to be the culprit the majority of the time.