Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng, Repaired my own cars and others for 20 years, worked in Formula 1 for 10 years

Got a 2005 toyota vjtz abs light keeps coming on JA: So

Customer Question

Hi got a 2005 toyota vjtz abs light keeps coming on
JA: So many factors can cause ABS issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Changed all abs sensors comes on when driving on a peak traffic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Trying to
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: No i dont think so
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Hello If the ABS light is staying on then this would indicate a fault with the system which shouldn't effect the regular braking performance so the car is still safe to drive. The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious. However with ABS systems 99% of the time its a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors and I'd first check the connections at all four corners first for any signs of corrosion or chafed wiring.The sensor is located in the wheel hub so you'll have to remove each wheel in turn to inspect them all.Also check that the toothed wheel that the sensor points to is clean and free of any can check each sensor's function by plugging the two output wires into an AC voltmeter and spinning the wheel quite quickly, you should get a voltage signal that increases with rev's. Its possible that the fault is only a bad connection to one of the wheel sensors.This may be remedied by removing each wheel in turn and unplugging each sensor and cleaning the contacts with a squirt of electrical contact cleaner. Then refitting.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Done all that sir
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Ok do you have a fault code from the scan tool that you can share?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you think it's the actuator
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
well thats possible but also the most expensive item as its got the control module built into it?if you haven't then I'd get a dealer level scan tool plugged into the car as the generic ones can't cope with anything thats not an engine fault
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.
Hido you still need help?Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you