carguy1, auto technician
Experience:  25 Years experience all makes and models.Nissan factory trained,Certified Subaru Tech

99 Toyota camry 4 cylinder idle high speed and speed up without

Customer Question

99 Toyota camry 4 cylinder idle high speed and speed up without being on gas.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  carguy1 replied 5 months ago.
Hi there,Is the check engine light on when the car is running?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
yes check engine light has been on for over a year without problems
Expert:  carguy1 replied 5 months ago.
Ok, Well, if it's possible it would be to our advantage to have the codes read to see if there is anything that is leading to this.Usually the issue however is a vacuum leak somewhere. The O2 sensors will see this and the computer will continue to add fuel to try and get the correct mixture. This will increase the idle speed and the car will want to take off when in gear.You can look for any cracked vacuum lines, especially off the PCV valve to start with. If it's possible to get the codes read it might help. Most parts stores will do this for you at no charge if you don't have a code reader.If you get the codes and want to post them here with me, I may be able to give you a more detailed answer.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!