Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner
14892859

Passenger seat stuck all the way forward. Motor will not activate

Customer Question

Passenger seat stuck all the way forward. Motor will not activate to move it back. All other electric seat controls working.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 1997 Toyota Avalon.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Passenger seat stuck all the way forward. Motor will not activate to move it back. All other electric seat controls working.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: yes
JA: What else should I tell the Toyota Mechanic?
Customer: Have seat removed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. This is rather typical on older cars when the seat is moved all of the way forward. When we see this in the shop, we find that the drive track has ran out of threads on the drive gear. This causes a binding condition. Here is what we do in the shop to alleviate this issue: If the seat is out of the car, reinstall it.Hook up the wires.Get a person with strong legs to sit in the affected seat.Have then hold the seat movement button to move it backwards.Have them push on the floor with their feet/ legs, which causes force to move the seat backwards.You, or have another helper tap on the seat frame (the part that moves) with a hammer, which will help release the drive gear thread binding condition.(you may need to have a third person in the back seat to pull on the front seat backwards)Assuming the motor is operational, and the drive cables are not broken or faulty, this procedure has worked for us every time.
Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.