camerontech
camerontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I'm trying to jump start my 2005 highlander hybrid but my Toyota

Customer Question

I'm trying to jump start my 2005 highlander hybrid but my Toyota tercel does seem to have the battery power (525amps)
JA: Battery issues can be tough to diagnose - lots of things to consider. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: My hybrid won't start. I have jumper cable hooked up from
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have my tercel hooked up
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: I have jumper cable hooked up between my hybrid and tercel but doesn't seem to be charging the battery
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  camerontech replied 7 months ago.
hi there,im cam, a licenced diagnostic techit sounds like a connection issue to me.connection issues when boosting is common and can require 2 people sometimes.your tercel should have no problem boosting.i will usually turn the lights on the dead battery vehicle first. this will do kind of a "arc" connection as there is demand in amperage.wiggle all connections whith the "boosting" vehicle running and the headlights on the dead vehicle.i teach this to all my apprentices as they always have trouble boosting carssometimes it takes 2 people, 1 to try to start while the other is wiggling terminals
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
With the cables connected to my running tercel if I move the cake connection on my dead hybrid highlander battery I see sparks, suggesting the connection has got current running thru it. Yet I see no evidence the battery in the hybrid is charging. In the owners manual it says I need a 12v battery to charge. Is my tercel battery likely to be 12v? Is this a likely issue?
your tercel battery is 12v.your hghlander hybrid will have 2 batteries.1 is the 12v for the gas engine system and the other is the high voltage battery for the hybrid drive system.the only way to see if your highlander 12v battery is being charged is with a voltmeter or multi meter.if you are getting small sparks when hooking up thecables, than this is a good indication that the 12v is a good connection and is probaly charging. you can verify this by hooking the meter up to the highlander terminals itself and looking for 14volts ( aprox)I would leave the cars connected for about a 1/2 hour with the toyota running. this should be enough time to charge the battery
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Bad jumper cables. Borrowed neighbors and it worked right away. Thanks!!!
omg, thats the worst.ive been caught by that a few timesusually the skinner and smaller diameter cables take longer.glad you got it going!please ttake a moment to rate me as it is important for my page!thanks and i appreciate positive ratings!cam
Expert:  camerontech replied 6 months ago.
hi thereplease dont forget to rate me!thanks and i appreciate positive ratings!cam
Hi thereI am only comepensated for my time with you when i am rated.please take a moment to rate my service with you!thanks!caam