Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

My 2008 prius burns lots of oil, and the mileage is very poor JA:

Customer Question

my 2008 prius burns lots of oil, and the mileage is very poor
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I bought the car used with over 155,000 miles, when the warranty expired, it was getting 37 mpg when I bought it, after 5,000 miles, the engine has no oil left, the dipstick comes out dry, I'm sick of dealing with, now it get 44 mpg, but I have to drive really carefully, and puts considerable amounts of oil in it constantly
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I'm hoping to pay a mechanic to fix this issue
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: the engine is noisy too, more than it should be
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi there,Heavy oil consumption is time for a new engine.This is no other fix.Sorry for bad news.Kind regardsGary
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,I hope my advice has been of assistance to you. Please rate my service at your nearest convenience. Kind regards Gary