Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Failed EPA test JA: Sometimes things that you think will be

Customer Question

failed EPA test
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I know my car has much life left in it but the EPA says I need an expensive repair.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I want the repair done correctly, I can do it my self if possible. Can't rtust most repairs places. Pity
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: Engine light is on
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: P0420 & P0011
JA: Huh?
Customer: These are stored codes the EPA says the OBD has in it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The P0011 is causing the P0420 code. Your cause of the P0011 code is a faulty Variable Valve Timing control actuator/gear assembly. This is a rather involved and complex job. Do you have sufficient skills to remove the front of the engine, and remove the camshaft?