Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Tundra: How would I go about changing plugs on a 2001 Toyota

Customer Question

How would I go about changing plugs on a 2001 Toyota Tundra?
To be truthful, I made an aoppointment to take my truck to an authorized Toyota dealer to have some work done on my truck. They gave me an appointment for A Friday morning at 10:00 A. M.
I had the new plugs, which were Botch brand. I gave him a list of things I wanted done. To make it short, they did not finish my truck until Monday afternoon. I was curious at how things looked under the hood. They had not done any cleaning around the work area. They put in a new battery. The pos post was full of acid, the just put it on the same condition, no attempt to clean it I looked at the plugs area, there was no sign of any work being done. Again the area was as dirty as when I took it in. My total bill was $2 400.00. The labor cost was $1,240.
That is the reason I want to know how to change the plugs. I want to see if they did put in the new plugs. The billing said they did. But aftr the seeng no sign work done. I am curious. I hope you wll help me.
I am a 74 yr old Vietnam Veteran, I served as a combat medic with the Army. and have been fighting three different cancers.
Zeke Santa Maria
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. But first, thank you for your service. To access the spark plugs, you will need a 10 mm socket and ratchet. This is needed to remove the bolt that holds the coil assembly on top of the spark plugs (there are in the center of the valve covers). Next, you will need a 3/8" drive spark plug socket, a 12 " extension and a ratchet. After the coils are out, you insert the socket and the extension down into the spark plug tube, and then loosen/remove the spark plug. I have a question for you: What was done that cost 2400 dollars? Spark plug replacement takes no more than an hour???
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Besdes putting in the plugs, I asked for them to drain the transmission fluid and put in flid. I also asked them to do the same with th brake fluid. The mecanic pointed out that I had leak in my radiator hose, which he replaced They replaced the battery, whch I never requested, but they did not bother to wash off the acid buld up on the pos connection, so the battery is sitting at an angle. I requesed that they replace the "Z: belt
Ok; thank you. Sounds to me like too much money though.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was too much money. I checked my reciept, the replaced my water pump and radiator hose, things I never requested. The water pump charge was $50.00 the hose $145.00 I had no leaks, never had a problem with the pump.I am going back to them and ging to demand they correct the billing. I may have to take them to court. But one way or another, I will make them pay. I m so full of hate, I am cnsidered termenial so I have nothing to lose!!!!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
water pump charge was $580.00
We would have charged half that in our shop. You have a good case here. This is exceptionally expensive. And their mis-treatment of a Vietnam Vet is totally unacceptable. We discount all of our veterans. You can file a complaint with Toyota; I would recommend this. If you want, you can call the Toyota Customer Experience Center at 1-***-***-**** and voice your dis-satisfaction. They may be able to help offset your out-of-pocket costs too. It is worth the call.