Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

I have a '99 Corolla and yesterday I started hearing a sound

Customer Question

I have a '99 Corolla and yesterday I started hearing a sound like dragging metal coming from the rear of the car, I think on the driver's side. I checked, but nothing was dragging on the pavement. I continued to hear it along with the sound of something metal pinging around, I'm guessing in the wheel. Wasn't sure if a bad bearing could make that sound, as every time I've had bearing issues is was more of a dull roar.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: That was the hope.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: The service engine soon light came on the same day, but the sound I was hearing was definitely coming from the rear of the car, so not sure if the two are connected.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I'm sorry you are having trouble with your corolla. I will try to help.
I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.
First I'd like to begin by getting a little more information so I can assist you better. I'm assuming your corolla is front wheel drive since the only 4wd corollas are in Japan.
Am I correct? Also do you only hear it while moving or is the noise present while stationary? And finally if it's while moving can you hear it at slow speeds? Oh and yours has rear drum brakes correct?
Please let me know and I will be happy to assist further.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I only hear it when moving, and yes, I hear it at slow speeds. Seems even more pronounced then, but that could just be the engine masking it at higher speeds. Yes, I have rear drum brakes.
From your description and what you are saying, I would recommend taking your tire and brake drum off and make sure nothing came loose like a retaining spring on the shoes. if you have hub caps, first pull that off and look but if you don't find anything definatly pull the drum off and look. If something came loose then it could end up being dangerous.
Let me know what you find so I can be of further assistance.Thanks
Sonny
Hi, Was this information helpful? if not can I assist you further? If it was, would you mind rating me positively? It's the only way I get credit for the question. Thanks Sonny
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny