Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Toyota Tacoma: I just completed a rebuild on a 97 Tacoma 3.4ltr

Customer Question

I just completed a rebuild on a 97 Tacoma 3.4ltr 4wd p/u, it was setting up for about eight years when I bought it. Got power to relay but none to the pump, I verified that pump works by jumping it. Any suggestions?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. You are stating you have power to the relay, which relay are you speaking of please?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Think it's the fuel pump relay
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Toyota suggested that relay is never replaced
The vehicle does not have a relay labeled Fuel Pump. Let's do this: Turn the key on, pull the EFI relay out and see how many of the relay sockets have power.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Already checked earlier,two
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not at truck at present
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Two had power
The fuel pump activates when the computer sees RPM signal from the crank angle sensor. The computer applies a ground to the Circuit Opening Relay. This causes the fuel pump to energize. If you locate the BLUE wire under the Circuit opening relay, and jump power to it, the fuel pump should run. If not, the wires to the pump have an issue. If the pump runs, then, you either have a bad circuit opening relay (common) or a problem with the crank angle sensor not reading the RPM of the crankshaft.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll look into it and hopefully it will be the issue
ok; Let me know