Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

Toyota 4Runner: I have a 95 4Runner 4wd with a 3vze engine

Customer Question

I have a 95 4Runner 4wd with a 3vze engine and automatic transmission, it has 7000 miles on a rebuilt motor but I didn't torque the harmonic balance so it loosened up and I ended up adjusting the timing wrong. I figured I bent some valves so I pulled the heads and had a ma chine shop put a new set of valves in after putting it back together I still have the same problem. It runs good until I put it in gear and then it has no power. I have the timing set to 10 degrees before tdc the only code I get is 52 knock sensor reading from the dash with a jumper in the service port. What am I missing?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for postingThis is a non interference engine so the valves can not make contact with the pistons. How does it idle, is it rough or have a misfire? Did you check the front of the crankshaft before removing the pulley to make sure the woodruff key did not shear off or get damaged due to the loose pulley?It sounds like there is still something wrong with the timing, check the actual timing marks of the crank pulley andeach camshaft to make sure everything is lined up correctly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes it was damaged but I repaired it and got a harmonic balance from another motor and put in a new keyway I did the valve job because while my compression gauges read low their was a wide variance between the cylinders I'm gin the middle of checking compression now But cylinder 4 and 6 look good. On those two cylinders my plug gap was ridiculously wide I'm hoping that's all it is. But as far as timing goes I was meticulous in making sure all my timing marks aligned and even bought a new cap and rotor just to be on the safe side.
Thanks, ***** ***** know the compression for each cylinder, we'll go from there, it may also be a good diea to check intake manifold vacuum at idle.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
3,4 & 6 are 125 1 & 2 are 150 5 is 165psi my plug gaps were ridiculous but it started raining so I didn't get the plugs back in to get a manifold pressure. I doubt it will stop with any light left, so maybe we'll know something in the morning.
Ok, the 125 is a little low but shouldn't cause the extrme loss of power you are getting, something else is not right, talk to you then. I know these engines real well and have re built many as well as replaced a bunch of headgaskets when they were on recall so I'm sure we'll get this figured out. Have a good evening.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Good morning at 800 rpm I have about 14 inches of vacuum. If I step it up to 2200 it goes to 18
!4 is a little low actually should be 18 or 20 at idle, ehat does it read at cranking the engine?
Did re gapping the spark plugs help at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Regapping didn't help much. I thought it was low also and started looking for a vacuum leak with starter fluid and I think I found something, of course it's on my he underside of the air intake. Let me see what I find
I agree with that, let me know
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had t pull the air intake and coat it with liquid black gasket and vacuum went to 21 inches at 800 rpm and she runs great, sh sprung a gas leak that made me get a new banjo bolt for the fuel rail but I'm glad to have her running again.
Thanks for the update, Best of luck and unless you have already done so please remember to click on one of the rating buttons so I'm compensated for working with you. Thanks.