Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Rubbing noise on front right axle-tire area. Had the bearing

Customer Question

Rubbing noise on front right axle-tire area. Had the bearing replaced but still making the noise when turning left especially. Vrub-vrub, comes and goes but stays on left turns.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Brakes have been checked. I use this car for my driving school so it has the extra brake. Sometimes the rubbing noise is there from a standing start, not just the left turn. My mechanic can't figure it out. He says it's safe to drive but I don't know.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, not a mechanic. Headed to a Toyota dealer today if possible.
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: I've read on line it could be an axle boot, any thoughts? Problems with this card like this before?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

I would have the tire checked.I have seen issues with broken belts in the tires cause this issue here or flat spots and even bubbles on the side of the tire cause this issue.If this is checked and found o.k. I would have the inner wheel well inspected for any damaged needing repaired or replaced.I would alos have the tie rods checked for any worn components or damage needing replaced.

These are the most common causes for this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Pete, I had the tires rotated hoping if it was a tire problem the sound would go to the back but it's still in the front right side. My mechanic says everything looks good and safe. Could it be a axle boot?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

It is very possible the axle boot is rubbing together causing this noise as they can wear and cause this type of sound here as well.This would probably be the next area I would have checked into to see if any issues are found.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete