Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

I have a 2010 Prius. I have a message: "Check Hybrid System"

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Prius. I have a message: "Check Hybrid System" No power.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I hit start and many lights come on showing engine, brake and many other icons. I tried shifting around, but it says, "Shift to P." That changes nothing.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, I saw on the internet that someone suggested taking off the negative cable from the battery for a few minutes. Havent
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: haven't tried.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Prius.Does your Prius have the original AUX battery in it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do not believe so. 2010 Prius (bought late-year in Nov).
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The battery seems good.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had a replacement of a computer issue in 2014.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would you prefer to talk on the phone?
Would you prefer to talk on the phone?Sure.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let's chat then. I don't want to pay $26 to find out I can do nothing to fix it myself.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We can talk if it is fixable. Let's establish that first.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Are you still there?
Ok, so when you press the switch to start the Prius, what happens?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
"Check Hybrid System" and many indicators of problems light up, including brakes, engine and many others.
but the Prius doesn't go into "Ready" mode?Have you checked to see what codes are stored yet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not ready.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't understand the second question
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's later. Getting very tired.
Ok thanks.
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.
Hello, ift does sound like the 12 volt battery in the trunk is discharged, what your describing typically happens, there is enough voltage to turn on those lights on the dash but not enough for the hybrid computers to intialize this is why it doesn't go to ready mode, try jump starting with another car, try charging the battery yourself or have it checked, if you have any roadside assistance service they can come out and jump start for you, if it starts this way replace the 12 volt battery. Other than that it's a trip to the dealership to be diagnosed.