chrlsman
chrlsman, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
29613880

I previously had lots of corrosion on my battery cables. We

Customer Question

I previously had lots of corrosion on my battery cables. We scraped all of that off but once again, my car won't start. There is a slight spark on the negative terminal but not much. Could it be the terminal connectors? I have had a problems with corrosion in the past.
JA: Figuring out why a car won't start can be a challenge - it could be a simple repair, or something a bit more complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. The plan is to replace the battery connectors tonight and hope that works.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Using the wire brush to clean off the corrosion. We also had a chemical (acted like peroxide) that we sprayed on the connectors. Other than that, nothing.
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: It currently has 220,000 miles. Not sure when the spark plugs were last changed either.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  chrlsman replied 7 months ago.
Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I am one of the Toyota techs here.You want to remove both terminals and clean out the inside of the eyelets as well as the outside. Make sure there is 0 build up left over. Then pour a little water over them to flush everything out. Dry it all off and reconnect the terminals. Then make sure the cable is nice and tight before trying to start the car. If you get a clicking noise, the battery itself is drained and will either need to be recharged or replaced.
Expert:  chrlsman replied 7 months ago.
Also, visually check the cable from the battery to the starter making sure it is intact and not frayed or damaged in any way.If the spark plugs have not been changed in the last 60K miles, I would recommend doing that. Also, a fuel induction cleaning is a good idea. That will clean off the intake valves, top of pistons, and intake manifold of any carbon build up. A shop typically charges around $120 for this service, but you can do it yourself - see the link to buy the cleaner:http://www.amazon.com/Berryman-2610-Chemtool-Combustion-Cleaning/dp/B0002KKIM8/ref=sr_1_1/189-1773867-2273069?ie=UTF8&qid=1463000126&sr=8-1&keywords=intake+cleaner
Expert:  chrlsman replied 6 months ago.
This post will end soon. Please do rate my answer. As an independent contractor, I do not receive any credit for answering your question if no rating is given. Let me know if you have additional questions, but please proceed with a 4 or 5 star rating.thanks- Chris