Kurt Kennedy
Kurt Kennedy,
Experience:  Shop foreman at Auto-Lab of Texas
93876653

Prius: When I turn off the power off in our 2006 Prius the

Customer Question

When I turn off the power off in our 2006 Prius the red light with a little black key in the middle starts flashing. The CD player may try cycle.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Kurt Kennedy replied 6 months ago.
The light you are referring to is the immobilizer light or theft deterrent system light.Also what you are describing is normal operation. Its flashing and letting you know its not detecting a key.Luckily there is no issue with the car, but if you want more detailed information look in your Prius' owner's manual in the section which describes the keys and theft deterrent system, and also the section that describes all of the indicator lights on the dash.Also, please do not forget to rate my service with me tonight. By rating me that is the o
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Apparently I didn't phrase my question well. I know what the red key light is. However the cd player may continue to cycle. The heater fan may for may not kick on. The clock light may or may not out. The radio may or may not come on. All of the above drain the start up battery.
Can you remove the ECU-B fuse and see if it still happens? That fuse is a 15a fuse in the junction block on the drivers side end of the dash. With that fused removed, tell me if this continues to happen. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know what the ECU-B fuse does but it seem to have corrected the problem.
Thanks
Bobby
ECU-B is a circuit that controls multiple Items, but one of them is the radio and blower motor and all that. Glad I was able to help and it seems to be a straight forward fix! Please do not forget to rate me and my service! Thank you!