Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified
1279120

2009 toyota rav4. loud roaring noise increases with speed

Customer Question

2009 toyota rav4. loud roaring noise increases with speed from right rear wheel
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: jacked up wheel to check wheel bearing. no noise heard. no play in wheel side to side. roaring noise while driving and gets substantially worse the faster i go
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: possibly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: web blog states recall for differential coupling may exhibit growling
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 11 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting Is this a*****RAV4?Does the noise go away if you take it out of gear, in neutral?Does it seem to change with acceleration or deceleration?Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Makes noise in gear and out of gear. 4wd on demand. Makes noise in 4wd and in 2wd. Gets louder as speed increases
Thanks, ***** ***** the delay in getting back to you, This is a wheel bearing noise, it may not be noticeablre when turning the wheel off the ground because there is no load on the bearing.