Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

96 camry 2.2 no spark or injector pulse. JA: Sometimes things

Customer Question

96 camry 2.2 no spark or injector pulse.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: thats all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: died whil driving.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: yes i am world class GM tech
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 6 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting Are there any diagnostic codes?Does the engine seem to turn over normally like it has compression?Before this happened were there any signs of trouble? Engine misfire, loss of power?,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
T belt is good. Cranks normal and has fuel pressure. Can we check the sub assembly?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No codes
Thanks, ***** ***** are turned off when the computer loses spark confirmation signal from the igniter, common problems on these for no spark are the IGF or the IGT or rpm signals are lost, the pickup coils for these are part of the distributor, the crank angle sensor signal also comes from the distributor, the other but less common problem is the igniter assembly. with no codes present it is impossible to verify other than checking distributor resistances for the pickup coils, another problem is the coil in the distributor but these normally give some signs before going so it may be a good idea to check the coil, they can arc to ground or develop cracks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you tell me how to diagnose this properly?
Without any diagnostic information to give me a starting point it is going to be too involved for me to do a step by step diagnostic, you can start with checking the coil and the other resistance checks at the distributor, almost all of this information is available online.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm not satisfied I would like a refund.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best since the previous expert opted out. Does the check engine light come ON when you just turn the key on? Also, Can you verify you have 12 volts to one of the injector wires at any injector plug with the key on?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
I see you are requesting a refund, would you like to continue with me? Or I can turn this over to customer service for a refund. completely up to you. Let us know, Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will.work with you. Eng. Light on around 1 volt at injector harness
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
.58 volts at injector
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, that is a problem, as we should have 12 volts at one of the injector plug wires. did you check both of them for battery voltage?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Let me pull the wiring diagram.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The fuel injector? You said both of them?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
The WHITE/RED wire at the easiest injector to check, should have 12 volts with key ON.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
The wiring diagram shows WHITE/RED is common to all injectors, that is the power wire to all the injectors.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
You should have 2 wires going to each fuel injector, with one being WHITE/RED at all of them, and the other wires go to the ECM for grounding.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It does have 11.9. I made a mistake and stuck dmm in both terminals
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, no problem, just for double checking, at the ignition coil with key on check that WHITE/RED too. straight to chasis or engine metal ground.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Should have around 12 volts there.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
11.9
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, and you do have a scanner? Have you checked for codes yet with key on?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
I see no codes earlier, my mistake. It's not setting anything even after you crank it correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is not setting anything other than intake air temp that I have unplugged. I have a solus pro
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Interesting, Have you ohmed out the crank sensor. it's not open is it? It's odd that it doesn't have spark or injector pulse and it's got power to both and not setting any code. weird.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
It doesn't have any type of aftermarket alarm security system on it does it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No it does not
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do I unplug the crank sensor to ohm it?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Can you see the crank sensor data on that 96 with your solus? and does it have a wave pattern? see if you can get in the data stream on it. I'm beginning to think it may be the ECM itself.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Yes you unplug it to test it, check the ohms of the sensor itself, should be 3-500 ohms or so.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
1.35 k at crank sensor
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
It's good, that's not the problem.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Have you tried anything yet? like an igniter or distributor?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No..I pulled the distributor and it looked decent. You think I should try an igniter?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Make sure you have voltage to it on WHITE/RED when cranking at the igniter.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Here is the wiring diagram that I'm looking at.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
If you have power on WHITE/RED when cranking, then use a 12 volt test light, and put it on the Ign. coil BLACK/RED wire terminal (IGN. coil ground. ) And crank it over then, see if your test light flickers when cranking, should flicker when the igniter grounds the coil. If it doesn't, you crank sensor is good, I would certainly like to try another igniter at that point.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Test light to pos. Or neg?
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Test light clip to positive, point of light on coil RED/BLACK wire.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It did not light at all
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
ok, so the igniter isn't grounding the coil. and it has power to it on WHITE/RED when cranking correct?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes sir. The larger diameter white wire with red tracer has 12th when cranking
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
12 volts
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
At the igniter
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, I believe it's either going to be the ECM or the igniter at this point. and I would try an igniter first. Can't believe it's not setting a code, but from here and not checking it out, that's about all I can give you sir.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
If you can get an igniter, I would try it at this point, let me know what happens.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Ebay has them for 20$ fyi. used of course.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I.just got a p1300 igniter circuit fault code
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Definitely try one then. lol
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Did you crank it with it unplugged though? if so, that might of set it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I haven't had it unplugged.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Alright, That is the most likely culprit in my opinion.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does the igniter have to be mounted to the bracket for it ground properly and work? I just clipped it on with an alligator clip from the negative battery post. It was 325 and they won't return it if appears installed.
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
I dont think so, you grounded the case of it, and it didnt help?