Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota Expert
Experience:  30+ Yrs of auto experience, Award Winning Svc. Manager; Just Answer Customer's Choice Award Winner

Toyota Tundra crewcab 2wd: the A/C only blows moderately cool.

Customer Question

the A/C only blows moderately cool. The pressures are 35 / 225 @
90 degrees ambient. There is an issue with the temp knob. it goes all the way to cold, but not all the way to warm. (only about 2 oclock then meets resistance) I am leaning to ward the air door system as the problem, and I am wondering what is the involvement with trying to replace the foam (assumption) on the air doors?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 5 months ago.
at 90 degrees ambient air temp and the engine at 1500 RPM's your pressure should be 45-55 low side and 250-275 high side. If you're sure the system is 100% charged I would lean towards the expansion valve being bad. I'll post he temp/press chart below, let me know if I can help further
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Where is the expansion valve, and what's involved with changing it??
It's located in the HVAC box under the dash. I'm having some problems with my information system, let me open this back up so another expert can help you with the procedure to replace it.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 5 months ago.
Hello. Different expert here. The pressures do seem a bit high on this. If this vehicle was in my shop, I would be evacuating all of the refrigerant out of the vehicle, and then putting the exact amount required (by weight), then retest. I would be hard pressed to pronounce the expansion valve the culprit here without the evacuation and recharge with the right amount of refrigerant. Removal of the expansion valve, or the to service the heater box doors is an incredible difficult task, as the entire dashboard needs to come out of the vehicle to access the heater doors and the valve. I would strongly recommend you opt for the evacuate and recharge before considering the intensive labor investment to address anything in the heater box (that may not fix it).
If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply; I will be very glad to help you further.If you do not have any questions, and are satisfied with my input on your request, thanks for choosing Just Answer. It was a pleasure to assist you today. I trust my input to your request is satisfactory to you and meets your expectations. A positive rating would be greatly appreciated for my assistance on your inquiry. Thanks in advance and thank you again for choosing Just Answer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the input! Can you tell me the exact amount by weight I should install?

16.93 to 20.45 ounces, depending on ambient temperature. No more than 20.45 ounces. Stop adding freon as soon as the bubbles disappear from the sight glass
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

there is a sight glass!?!?! I thought that went away with R12!!!

Early Tundras have sight glasses. R-134A is the refrigerant.