Ted Ritter
Ted Ritter, Toyota Master Tech
Experience:  Toyota Master Tech, ASE Certified

The VBS, trac light and engine light is on and the vehicle

Customer Question

the VBS, trac light and engine light is on and the vehicle will only go 50 MPH
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: no code
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Toyota Mechanic to figure that out. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: you can reset by removing the battery cables, but after two start ups the lights all come back on and the car goes into limp mode and will only go 50 mph.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: only if it is something simple like a fluid, really want to know what to expect at a dealer in order to have fair treatment since I am female
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: the fan on the air conditioner is making a noise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Ted Ritter replied 5 months ago.
Hello, thanks for posting I just need a little information before I am able to make any kind of attempt to diagnose this:What is the year and model of your car? Can you drive it to an auto parts place like Autozone, O Reilly, Advance Auto or Pep Boys? They can assist you in getting diagnostic code number information and they do this at no charge (except California) This is the first step of diagnosing a concern like this because there are too amy variables as to what the problem may be, then please let me known what these code numbers are so we can proceed. The only thing you can try yourself at this time is to make sure the gas cap is securely on and a quick visual check under the for any obvious disconnected vacuum hoses or electrical connectors and check the coolant level and the oil. If you decide to go to the dealer you can still let me know what they find let me know before agreeing to anything they recommend. I also wanted to mention that the VSC and Trac warning lights turn on by default whenever the computer detects a malfunction for the same reason that it goes into limp home mode, the throttle is limited to about 15% opening and the trac/vsc are disabled. There is no hurry on my part so take your time and get back to me when you have the code information, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks, I am not readily available to take the vehicle for a computer diagnostics. The vehicle is 2010 Sequoia with ~85,000 miles. I will check the oil and other fluids as well as the gas cap. Is there any other suggestions you have prior to me taking it to a service center?
Thanks for the reply, be sure the warning lights are on when taking it in or they will not be able to get any information from the computer. There are a number of fault codes that can make it go into failsafe mode, if the engine is running normally and the transmission is shifting normally before this happens it may not be a serious problem and may just be emission control related or one of the input sensors for the engine , there are no chronic problems that I know of with this Toyota model and year? Best of luck and you can still reply to me here if you'd like my comments or input on whatever they find.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Good morning Ted, I have had my car put on the computer and the code is P2442
Thanks for the updateThe code is for a small leak at the emission control vent system, I'm going to check some information and get back to you shortly.
Here's what you can do yourself before doing expensive leak tests on the system, purchase a new gas cap, it has to match Toyota's OEM standards, some aftermarket caps may not work, I'd recommend getting from from the dealer, carefully inspect the fuel filler opening contact surface for the cap for any damage, put on the new cap and disconnect the negative battery terminal again for about a minute and let's see how that goes.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ted, thank you.. after doing some research on this issue, I am seeing due to an emissions issue this maybe covered under a warranty by Toyota, are you fimiliar with this?
It depends on what the problem is, on the 2010 model it's usually 5years/60,000 miles for most major emission control issues. Some parts like the catalytic converter are covered for 8yrs/80,000 miles.