Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

I have a 2001 Toyota 4-runner. Code p0442 is appearing showing

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Toyota 4-runner. Code p0442 is appearing showing small evap leak. Replaced gas cap ,charcoal cannister and smoke test. Drive for several days and check engine light reappears.
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: that is it. Truck runs good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: new gas cap, new charcoal canister and smoke test
JA: Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: has 175,000mi
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. In some cases this code can set due to a leaking evap vent valve.If the vent valve was not checked/tested at all this needs done to see if this is the cause here.If found to be at fault the vent valve will need replaced.If this was already tested and found o.k. let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete