Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2005 Tacoma Access Cab with a 2.7 4cyl. My issue

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Tacoma Access Cab with a 2.7 4cyl. My issue is that I have a vibration beginning at approx. 20 mph, most severe at 35 mph. smooths out about 45 mph. At 35 I slip the trans into N and there is no vibration. Any suggestions?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: At 35mph I have slipped the transmission into N...no vibration. most pronounced when the engine is under a load.
JA: Fortunately, the mechanics here speak car like it's their native tongue. They're great at sussing out engine issues, and it would be my pleasure to put you in touch with the best one for the job. Is there anything else the Toyota Mechanic should be aware of about your Toyota?
Customer: no other issues at all...this vibration began one morning on the way to work. There are no codes indicated on my actron code reader.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. I will have to ask you a few questions so that I can get a better understanding as to what may be going on with your Tacoma.Is the truck with you now?Have you inspected the Driveshaft U-joints yet?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes the truck is here. the u-joints seem to be fine//no binding// all bolts present and tight// no leaks observed
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
When I drive the truck at 35 mph and slip into a lower gear the vibration remains the same.
How many miles is on this Tacoma?Is this the original driveshaft on the truck?Did you inspect the U-Joints or a repair shop?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
157000 miles/// original drive shaft// I inspected myself
What you have just described is the textbook example of a bad U-joint/Driveshaft. The key is the fact is just what you stated "At 35mph I have slipped the transmission into N...no vibration. most pronounced when the engine is under a load."The reason that there is a vibration under a load is that you (as the driver) are putting the driveshaft under pressure by accelerating. When you shift to neural, you immediately that pressure off. That's definitively a bad u-Joint.Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes..the vibration smooths out over 45mph...would that eliminate the drive shaft?
No. The U-joint doesn't spin is a perfect circular pattern and is more elliptical pattern. Here is some reading on the subject. So this vibration can "come and go" depending on the speed of the vehicle but should be able to be reproduced at the same speed/drive style (like under a vibration).
Still make sense?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes.
Good, now if you know of a good repair shop that can handle this repair, you can get by with just replacing the U-joints. But also have them price out (or you can) a new driveshaft from Toyota as the cost make come out about the same.Would you be able to replace the driveshaft yourself? Have you done this type repair before?
Were you able to see my last reply?