Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Back info on this car. My last question

Customer Question

For Eric. Back for more info on this car. My last question involved the intake manifold gasket. Determined there was a leak. I used the thin oem metal one. I decided to go aftermarket and use the thicker Felpro this time. Now that I have the injectors off again should I test them or can I test them myself? How would I test to see if they spray correctly? I know I can test the resistance across the terminals (should be around 14 ohms I think).
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
HI,What I do to test for correct spray pattern is use brown wrapping paper and lay the injector on it and have someone crank the vehicle once while I watch. You should see a wide fan pattern. If it is narrow or straight stream, it is partially clogged. Sometimes just soaking them in some seafoam and then blowing out with a little compressed air will clean them out.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I figured since I was at this point I should just go ahead and do it. I'll let you know the results. I'll disconnect the coil packs to keep her from starting.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
HI, Ok, sounds good and will be here all day
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cleaned the injectors tonight. Decided to try something. I saw this injector cleaner on the internet and decided to give it a try. I took 3 different sizes of tubing each a bit smaller than the other. Put the largest piece over the injector> pushed the next piece in> pushed the next one in, etc. Used some shrinkable tubing from Harbor Freight to seal. The hard part was getting it to seal around the red tube which goes into the carb cleaner nozzle. It has a tendency to melt quickly. I used some car stereo negative terminal spades to attach to the injector terminals since they are so tiny. Tapped the wires on a battery and injector opens. Note to self though. Do use a hose clamp to keep the hose on the injector. It sails across the garage when you hit the carb cleaner button. Scared the cat. I have a good spray pattern. Kinda misty.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
Hi, nice ingenuity on your part. Ok, with good spray pattern, they are fine
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have half a mind to go ahead and use the oem seals. I know I just used the aftermarket ones, but it keeps nagging at me.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
HI, Since you have the injectors out, might as well