K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Pearl, My Camry 2007 has a VIPER remote start/door opener.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, My Camry 2007 has a VIPER remote start/door opener. For 10 years it was a blessing. Last month it stops closing doors. I took it to the security installer, they look it up. It was working for day and then stopped. Few more times they tried to fix it, it works on and off (mostly off). When power switch is not working, I can't close it remotely. I have to close doors manually, but can unlock it with remote. What is going on?
JA: I'm good. And you?
Customer: Thanks, ***** ***** good too. I will have to drive my son to the exam now, I will be back in 20 min or so.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Hi Pearl, this is Natalya, I am back
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I am trying to help installers to figure up what is going on. They are dumb stuck - it works when I leave them, then stops after day or two...
JA: OK! The Toyota Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: I can close only driver door with the key. Everything else in the car is working good - LOVE Toyota!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 6 months ago.

Hello, it sounds like either the door lock module itself is failing or the unlock relay. Some models of these had the relay built into the module and it's not replaceable.

8-10 years is the usual service life of these units. With the price having come down so much over the years you would probably come out much cheaper having a new unit installed since all the wiring has already been done.