Chris (aka-Moose), Auto Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Cannot remove key cylinder. Button to release wont JA: Sometimes

Customer Question

Cannot remove key cylinder. Button to release wont
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Toyota. The Toyota Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Ignition key was very tricky for 2 years but this morning only allows accesory position. This is a 2001 sequoia
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Battery is unhooked all trim removed and key is in acc position.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Toyota Mechanic should know about your Toyota?
Customer: The release button wont release.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Toyota Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Skyvisions replied 6 months ago.
At this point you're saying that you have during column cover removed and have access to the housing that the ignition lock cylinder goes into? In the accessory position did you find a little detent hole and push the button in?